Sunday, March 25, 2012

Project #2 Magnetic Chalkboard painted wall.

So, chalkboard paint has been all the rage forever. I think it's fine but I wasn't into it until we moved into this house and had this wall. It's the perfect place for kids to do schooling while mama's in the kitchen.  I decided to use some of Matt's per diem money to do it.  I have been so incredibly busy since he's been gone. I was bragging at church today about being used to him being gone and not really "needing" his help. While that is true for the most part, I've worn myself thin this week. I sure do appreciate the small amount of time he does have to help out. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I didn't have time for this, didn't do quite enough research for this and jumped in headfirst. So, last night about 10pm I was covered in nasty metallic paint, needing to pump and go to bed and I still had to put on another coat.  SO, I will inclue a tutorial of lessons I learned in this blog. I am excited about putting the chalkboard paint on soon.
  • This paint is NASTY, it speckles like no other, it's heavy and it doesn't come off without mineral spirits. I didn't know that, thought it was a soap and water job, didn't know where I had mineral spirits AND really made my skin burn trying various ways to remove it AFTER I had to take a loaded roller thing off the handle part because Eli broke the handle part. That probably doesn't make sense. That's ok, just hope it doesn't happen to you:)
  • The paint is a very wierd kind of thick and it doesn't cover very much area so i suggest making it smaller than what they claim it covers which is 16sq ft.
  • The paint soaks into the roller something fierce so plan to start and finish the job in about 2 hrs. I wouldn't start it unless you have 2 hrs to do it.
  • It's a very textured paint so if you want a smooth wall, don't use it.
  • Don't expect a really strong magnetic pull from the wall. Lightweight magnets are the only thing that stick. I am doubtful that I'll be able to hold papers up there, which was actually the point.
  • Plan on throwing away whatever you use one the paint, it's not worth trying to wash it out.
  • I think i wish I hadn't wasted my time and money but oh well, it's on now and the kids think it's pretty cool.                  

3 comments:

  1. ok, so it was just the magnent paint that was horrible?? not the calkboard paint? sounds like maybe having it be magnetic isn't worth all the work. Good to know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did the chalkboard paint go? I won't lie... after reading your post I don't think I'll ever use magnetic paint haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawnelle, I wouldn't use the magnetic paint but the chalkboard wall has been tons of fun! I would just make sure you follow the directions for drying and curing time. WE love ours already-except I keep having to erase hippo chow!

    ReplyDelete