Sunday, March 20, 2011

Where my thoughts are

I've had a hard time enjoying some normal things lately. My thoughts go something like this. "How can everybody just watch and be so excited about March Madness when so many people are suffering?"
And today this "How is it possible to go through 3 church meetings and not have Japan mentioned even once?"
I feel such a weight of sadness that I truly can't verbalize that there are millions of people working and suffering over a loss this incredible. When Katrina hit it really seemed like the world was on edge and it was spilled milk in the shadow of Japan's catastrophe. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back for my sympathies, really. Part of the anxiety I feel over this is not doing anything. I know that my donations to the church are being used for humanitarian aid, but I want to do something tangible. Shouldn't we be organizing service projects or something? What could I do with my kids? Any ideas? My sister said that in Wellington where she lives there are what I guess you'd call refugees. Maybe they need something I could send. There must be something. I know they need money. Maybe I should just do without something and send the money.
Someday I want to be the girl flying out to administer, to wade through the muck and help. I want to save people. I HATE being still during a disaster. I'm strong, I have endurance, I need training-and I need all my yahoos to grow up and fly the coup. 'Till then, maybe I'll make towels again!

5 comments:

  1. When Christchurch happened here people were so generous and there wasn't a single meeting at church where we didn't talk about the sufferings of those people. I remember thinking about it at the time. There are places to donate everywhere for diferent groups of people in CHCH. The orphans and families with children are two examples. And like you said people opening up their homes. And it has been the same with Japan-maybe because of their own losses so recent they are more able to feel for others. But I still feel unimpowered even with all these things to give money and donations too. Because I want to be there helping. BUT, people are also organizing huge used children's gear sales and things for people and I have tried to support all those things as well to do what I can. That is the key-we do what we can and help others to do what they can-it is all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I've been thinking about all of that too, partly because we have been studying refugees a lot in one of my classes. Also, did you guys know we (meaning US troops under order of Obama, so maybe a far fetched "we") just started bombing Libya?! We are now in 2 wars instead of 1 and no one seems to be saying a whole lot about it, it kind of blows my mind! I was asking people at work about it trying to get more info and no one knew! All they knew was that Charlie Sheen had been fired from 2 and a half men. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really suprised nothing has been said in your ward Amber, every prayer and lesson talked about Japan, even in my religoin class. Dorth yeah its crazy, my proffesor was talking about all of a sudden we are in a "popular war" France sort of got us into this mess, which is stupid because you know that as soon as they lose ten troops they will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about wanting to do something tangible. I feel the same way. I think loss is hard for people to understand unless they see it in person, which is why it is "out of sight, out of mind," for many. I remember going through Anne Frank's house almost numb. I tried to ponder, but couldn't wrap my mind around the trauma. I almost felt guilty for not being able to feel more. If you find a solution, please post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart and mind can't comprehend the devastation and seemingly lack of response. Glen Beck has been upset and telling people to send money to the Red Cross. While I'd rather send money to Humanitarian Aid for them, maybe we could volunteer to help the Red Cross in some way also. I was so grateful for the theme of giving and charity in conference.

    ReplyDelete