Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tune in to tune out.

I think I've posted before about my passion for audio books. I grew up listening to books on tape, graduated to CD's after I left college and now I'm hooked to my mp3 player a LOT! When Matt was living away from us and I was pregnant trying to sell the house my audio books saved me from tearful collapses while I cleaned and cleaned and from crying myself to sleep at night. That sounds dramatic but it's completely true. Most library systems have an audio book account with somebody. In NJ I had netlibrary.com and here in Houston it's overdrive.com One tricky part is finding books to listen to that I know are clean and that I haven't already read. I'm not up on contemporary literature so I scan the Internet lds book lists looking for winners. About half of The Amelia Peabody Series are on netlibrary so I logged in about, oh, 350 hrs listening to those twice 2 summers ago. I became so addicted to them that if I need to sleep or if I am trying to move forward and not think about something hard I go back to those books. I ADORE the characters and want to be Amelia Peabody. Elizabeth Peters give Amelia the best quotes. Full of wisdom and humor. I am a sucker for any book that takes me touring the world. So, the point of this post-besides selling audio books-is to share the books I've read recently so my sisters and friends can enjoy them too.

  • 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' which I loved, it just chickened out too soon. Needs a sequel.

  • 'The Last Lecture' which was very inspiring and had me in tears, laughing and really thinking. I'd like to read it again and take a few notes.

  • 'The Invisible Wall: A Love Story that Broke Barriers' Also enjoyed. It flipped around some of my philosophies to let me see them from another angle.

I've read some others but I can't think of them at the moment. I also started 'Atlas Shrugged' but I haven't finished it because it's larger than my mp3 player can hold and I can't seem to listen out loud at my house.


note: I realize that I didn't give a lot of info on these books or the author. If you need additional info I'm happy to oblige, just email me.

1 comment:

  1. I've read two of the three, that last one you mentioned i'll have to bookmark to read later. I am still struggling with my pregnany ADD. I just can't seem to read anything that doesn't have "What to Expect" in the title or have to do with nursing. I am trying to read "Dear Theo" by Irving Stone but am not getting very far. Not the book's fault at all! I couldn't even read Harry Potter while pregnant with my first!

    ReplyDelete