Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Spirit of Christmas

So our Christmas decorating has begun. Christmas cards are almost ready to be sent out, and we've got the Christmas music on but until very recently I was just not feeling it.  It was too darn warm outside and that's thrown off my rhythm.  We took a quick trip to the zoo tonight for Brigham and I was a little disgruntled b/c of several things and on top of that, a cold front came in and suddenly I was freezing and contracting and having to walk in wet in flipflops blah. I didn't pout or anything but my insides were certainly frowning. Matt got everyone singing Christmas Carols on the way home and it really lifted my downs. It was wonderful, one of my favorite things. But the best part of my season this year came when we got home. Eli said "I don't really pick my favorite songs by the words or the tune. I like the ones that make me feel the spirit." I asked him which ones made him feel the spirit and he said "The last song that we sang[Oh Come All Ye Faithful] really made me feel good."
I will be thinking of that all season. My boys aren't very emotionally descriptive. I don't think they've ever said anything like that but that statement was a compass for me. They're headed in the right direction. My son knows what the spirit feels like and it makes him happy. Christmas songs made him feel the spirit and he was able to share that with his brothers and sister and myself. That's the only gift I'll need this year.

3 comments:

  1. Alena's room is cute, it's so fun to hear about your family since it's the opposite of ours and all we have is pink and emotional verbalization! It looks like you have a real tree - so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! Eli's comment definitely made my day! What a great older brother he is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I also am really impressed with Eli's comment. I feel the same way. The ones I love are the ones that really bring the spirit to touch my heart. Happy Christmas to the Stecher Family from the Fry's!

    ReplyDelete